Thursday, March 22, 2007

Runaway Ramblings

I know, I know! You're all in shock. I finally posted again. I don't have anything put together to post that meets my satisfaction although I was doing pretty good on my posting a few weeks ago. After all, it was only... let me see, six days into the month. I wasn't even a week behind in posting PC's 8 month picture - I even had one already taken, but I just had to get around to acquiring, cropping, and resizing it. I still haven't finished that project.

Next, PC took two steps all by himself and I was debating on whether or not to proclaim him 'walking at 8 months' and blog about it. I procrastinated a bit more. Then I had this really brilliant idea for a post... but I told Sir about it and he recomended that I do anything but that post. So I procrastinated because I was trying to come up with something that I was as excited about as the vetoed post. But I got too busy with stuff at home...

So busy that I didn't feed the cats for over a day and when we got home from prayer meeting a week ago, the cats ran outside. That would have been fine if I had remembered that they were outside... or if I had done my nightly check everything routein, but we were exhausted, I was rushing to put the kids to bed and to find something to eat for dinner. We had been rushing too much before we left for meeting for Sir and I to eat. That was Wednesday the 14th. The next morning, I had to cross the border for gas and dairy, so I took Sir to work which meant we had a really early start (well, early for the kids and me to be out of the house already). The kids and I did our errands and then came home. As we were getting out of the car one of the cats showed up meowing like crazy as she rushed up the stairs to get inside the house. I put food out and started looking for the other one. I couldn't find her. She wasn't answering to my calls (and I knew that since she would be starving that she would normally come immediately). Then I started to panic. I looked and looked, called and called.. and then I looked out the front window. And wished I hadn't. We live right on a major- very busy street in our city. There was a smudge on the road across the median. The kids were fussy, but I coudln't fix it just then. I just parked them in the living room with some toys, hopped over the gate at the inside stairs and rushed outside. The closer I got didn't help. I was hoping I'd see something that would set my fears aside. Like a raccoon tail or something white, but no, you could hardly tell that the roadkill had been anything in particular before it was hit. My stomache sank. It was raining, and everything was wet, but the hide was still there and it still had ears. I peeled it off the road and looked inside the ears.. Sure enough there was a tatoo in one of them. I knew then that it was my cat, but I needed to be sure. Really sure. When we moved to this house I had both of the cats spayed. And while they were sedated, I had the vet put an I.D. tatoo in their ears. Of course I had no idea where I had my paperwork that had the information from the vet in it, so I consulted my phone/address book. Thankfully I was smart enough when I entered the information to put a 'see Clinic Name' comment under the V's since I'd probably look under 'Vet' if I couldn't remember the clinic's name. Anyway, I called the vet, asked them to look up our cat I.D. numbers, and waited in a horrible suspense and dread until the receptionist came back. She read off the number. It matched. I thanked her and hung up. Then I went to the office, closed the door behind me (much to my children's astonishment) and called Sir. That was when I fell apart. He offered to come home from work, but I told him not to. Instead he told me to take a few mintues to put myself back together before going back out to the kids. I did, but the tears would just come back every time I thought about what had happened or when I'd remember little things that I should have paid attention to that might have prevented it all. Dolly was very concerned about me she'd ask 'Are you sad?' I'd tell her yes, I was. Then she'd check on me five minutes later, 'Are you happy Mommy?' I'd smile and start crying again. Then she'd state matter of factly, 'You dripping.' Just so you know, it's really hard to be sad when your two year old is so observant. I had to laugh. Both kids were exceptionally good all day long that day, and I was really thankful. I kept myself busy and tried to do everything we normally do so I wouldn't upset them. That evening I dropped them off at Sir's parent's house on my way to pick him up from work. Then we went out for dinner which was a nice break. I needed some time away from the kids and with Sir so it really helped.

On with my ramblings... PC continued to test out 'little steps' I didn't want to say he was walking yet, because I don't think he knows it himself. He's done anything from two to ten steps in a row. I think I'll still wait a bit. He's taking steps a lot more often now, but he hasn't thrown out his transportation by 'fours' just yet.

Then the kids got sick. PC started teething over the same weekend (he would!) and both Dolly and PC were beside themselves. We went home early on Sunday and everyone took naps for the rest of the afternoon. Then PC got the worst diaper rash that he's ever had. I think it had a lot to do with him being sick to start with... but the doctors say that they can get rashes when they're teething too, so it could have been that... or maybe it could have been both.

I came down with a bug Monday and it still hasn't gone away, but I don't feel half dead anymore. Tuesday I took PC in to the doctor because I was getting a little worried about the diaper rash. I called them just to find out if there was anything else I could put on him to help it clear up, and they told me to come in. Dolly was feeling better Wednesday, so I let her go to meeting with Sir that evening much to her excitement. She absolutely loves to go to meeting. I'm glad.

And that brings me to today. Sir came home early from work because he was feeling sick as well. At least we all got it before conference. Of course speaking of conference... we have less than three weeks left to get everything ready. I'm in charge of setting up the nursery, which is fine, but I still need to rearrange our house so we'll have a guest room for our guests! Hey! we still have a little more than two weeks left... we can do it... yes, we can... really! I'm sure of it.. mostly.

And now, I've rambled enough that I should be back into 'blogging mode' It's so easy to get into a rut... or in my case, a canyon, and then it's even easier to just procrastinate on posting for forever. Here's a couple shots of PC playing the piano for me. I have some of Dolly doing the same thing at about the same age, but I was too lazy to look them up tonight. Oh well.. if I got stuck looking for pictures, I might have just procrastinated a bit more. So, now I'll congratulate you on making it to the end of this post, and take myself off to bed. G'nite!


  1. Oh I'm so sorry about what happened. I am thankful that you found it in an area where the kids were sheltered from seeing it.

    "You dripping" is the most adorable thing I have ever heard your little Dolly say.

    Get well soon, we missed you on Wednesday, as did Dolly. She wasn't quite sure what to do with herself.

  2. I read that whole rambling rant and dripped a little bit about you and your cat. I know how you feel not wanting to show your kids that you're sad. Isn't that the hardest thing! Love you, Ioi.

  3. aww i'm really sorry about your cat :( that happened to heidi's cat a couple of years ago when we were still at our old house. we had a funeral in our backyard for him.

  4. I'm so sad about your kitty. That's got to be the worst thing--to see your kitty on the road. Take care of yourself, especially in the next week or so before the conference.

  5. I'm so sorry about your kitty. =(

  6. I'm so sorry about your kitty, too. I lost a cat under tragic circumstances a month before I had my little boy. I cried and cried. She was the most beautiful Siamese cat and a good hunter. I loved her so much. I still miss her and its been over 2 1/2 years.