Friday, November 16, 2007

Breaking News

Yep, you guessed it - we just spent the last four hours in the emergency room again. Only this time we got to ride in an ambulance to get there.

Just as the kids were about to get into bed, I realized PC's soother was missing. So, I started my search through the house and the kids started playing/goofing off/etc in their room. Within a few minutes I heard them start to argue/fight/fuss at each other followed by a huge bang. Both Dolly and PC started crying and I rushed to investigate. PC was screaming the loudest so I started trying to figure out what was wrong with him, while Dolly ended up in my room still crying rather intently. Sir noticed that Dolly wasn't using her left arm, and over the racket I realized that PC was fine and was just making noise while Dolly was actually hurting.

When I took Dolly's P.J. top off to get a better look, she squirmed in pain, and her arm tensed up. And instantly I knew her arm was broken. Clean through. It had disfigured into an 'S' shape each time she tried to used it. While I tried to keep Dolly's arm straight and stable, Sir called 911 to get an ambulance. There was no way we would be able to get her to the hospital with her arm the way it was.

Meanwhile, PC was still crying, Sir was on the phone and couldn't get off, and Emma had lost her soother and was letting the world know she'd been abandoned - forgotten - worse! Sir tossed me the cell phone and I called Grandma C to ask her to come take, or stay with PC and Emma while we took Dolly to the ER. Within seconds, Grandma C. was on her way. She got here just five minutes before the ambulance pulled up outside so at least the younger two kids were under control and we could hear each other speak!

The paramedics wrapped Dolly's arm to her body and we dodged out through the pouring rain to the ambulance - carseat in tow. At first Dolly wasn't too sure about riding in the ambulance, but Mommy was coming and the paramedics gave her a teddy bear - to keep, so life was bearable.

It didn't take long before we were through triage, had briefly seen the pediatric doctor in the triage waiting room and were waiting for x-rays (where we took the picture above)

Well, it's 2am, Sir has sent his e-mail to work letting them know he'll be in late tomorrow, and I need to get to bed. Everything is ok, and I'll post a follow up tomorrow with all the pictures - I can't stay awake to re size them now.


  1. What a brave girl!

    Those soothers are nothing but trouble but worse trouble without them! I do the same search every night. We have about eight but I can never find a single one at bedtime!

  2. Oh no! Poor Dolly. She sure is getting a lot of hard knocks. Thoses kind of lessons in life are difficult for a little one. She'll be sweeter than she already is...hard to imagine.

  3. Ohhh - I had tears in my eyes just reading that, poor little girl!! It's so hard when they're so little and in pain!! I just want to hug her! :(

  4. Get well soon Dolly!!!

    I don't know how my kids have avoided broken bones. They've done everything short of pushing each other down a flight of stairs.

  5. Poor little sweetheart! Her face says so much. =(

  6. I am praying everything goes well with Dolly's arm and I hope you are all at home sleeping soundly right now.....