Saturday, October 04, 2008


I was going to title this post 'Luxury', but that sounded familiar, and sure enough I'd used it for a former post. So, I chose a synonym instead. And 'Relax', just didn't sound right either although that's exactly what I did.

Last night I stayed up until 2:30 reading a book. I even finished it. The last time I did that was probably ten years ago. Really. Then I slept in this morning until 9 - NINE! The kids were absolutely wonderful. Even though they woke up sometime before I did, I didn't hear a peep from them until I opened my bedroom door. When I did that, I almost tripped over two of them playing with plastic farm animals in the hall outside our bedroom. And as soon as Emma heard my bedroom door latch, she announced through the wall that she too was waiting patiently for Mama to start the day.

It was so nice. When I couldn't put my book down last night I knew I was asking for misery today. The kids had gone to bed at a reasonable hour and I was sure they'd be up and ready to go by 7:30 - 8 at the latest. Then when I slowly woke up and realized that I wasn't being assaulted by the sound of screeching/fighting/whining kids clamoring at my door it was almost unbelievable.

So, I came out, and made a big deal about how great they'd been. Gave them all a gummy bear (I know - there's nothing like starting the day with something to rot your teeth) and then we all piled on the couch and I read them a few books. When 10 AM rolled around I thought it'd be in my best interest to feed my little army before they revolted and deserted (at least the 'good behaviour' regiment). We made as many 'favorite' breakfasts as was possible, and had lots of fun doing it.

Sir had to grab his breakfast and go though, since he needed to go borrow a vehicle in his ongoing mission to repair our van. When he got back it was already almost noon. Since we'd had breakfast late, I wasn't in a big hurry to start lunch and the kids and I had tricycle races on the patio for a few minutes until PC discovered the hose and drenched Dolly. Then we came in and I started on a mending project.

I guess it was actually an 'altering' project, but all the same it was the first time I'd tried to hem a pair of jeans for Sir. Usually Grandma C. rescues me from these difficulties and I'm none the wiser. But this time I thought I'd try it myself.. after all, Grandma C. won't always be able to do all the little things I still haven't had to do. Anyway, I learned a lot in the process. 1st, cut BOTH pant legs before you start hemming. It really does make it more possible to create the same length legs. 2nd, black jeans are much easier to hem than blue, and 3rd, its a very good idea to make sure ALL of your children are in bed before you start a sewing project. I'd barely managed to thread my machine before I was called away for something and came back to find Dolly and PC attempting to figure this mystery out themselves. And every chance she got, Emma would steal whatever she could reach in my sewing cabinet door compartments. The little rascal!

Then once I got stuck on the blue jeans I switched gears and started working on other sewing projects that have been piling up on my mending basket. That was a lot of fun - especially the little quilt for PC, but that's a post in itself. The kids slept late this afternoon, and then they were pretty good for a while while I kept sewing. I realized they needed to eat when Dolly and PC kept having the same argument:
PC - "NO! Nana, ou bad!"
Dolly - (in a sing-songy voice) Don't touch that PC - you're being (voice drops to a low note) very bad." NO!! Don't HIT! (he's hitting her at this point)
PC - (more shrilly) "NAO! Nana, Me nao baa! yu bad.
Dolly - (as she swipes at her brother) Mommy, PC is being baad
REPEAT 3 times. They were arguing over who got to sit on what side of the couch and read which of the gazillion books they had piled on the floor between them.

So much for the perfect children ALL day long, but they did straighten up when we got started on dinner and then ate, had baths and I got back to mending with my audience. Finally it was time to put them to bed.

Sir had come in victorious over the obstinate water pump and announced our van was subdued and would perform its normal duties for us in the morning. That was wonderful news after almost a week of everyone getting places on foot, by bus or in strollers. I'm so glad he's done, because poor Sir has been struggling with this silly van all week. It paid off though - all his hard work - in the dark, after work, in wet, cold and windy weather. I have much to be thankful for.

Well, this post has wandered on and on and on, and I really want to keep working on 'Pockets' for PC so I'll close for now and see what I can get done before I should go to bed as well.


  1. I am so glad the van is fixed! I hope it stays that way!!!!!

  2. That sounds familiar! I stayed up until 1:30 reading (and finished my book, too), then slept in until 9! (That was the first time since Drooler was born, I'm pretty sure.) I woke up to flour all over my kitchen floor, but it was worth it =) That's totally cool that your kids were good!!!

  3. Chasm's Lady- I really hope you got some sort of an action shot with all that flour? What a goober! (But well worth the sleeping in, I agree!)

  4. I did, thankfully! It's in my 'projects' Picasa web album.